Monday, February 2, 2009

Baking with Grandma

At the start of Catholic Schools Week, the girls had an open house at school on a Sunday morning.  The 4th grade class did cultural stories and dishes.  Cee asked Grandma if she had a Portuguese snack she could share.  Grandma and Joe graciously offered to come on a Friday night so Grandma and Cee could bake together. 

Grandma brought some kale soup and homemade bread to share with us.  This is her delicious sour dough bread - it was beyond good.

Cee was in her glory not only having Grandma all to herself but to be doing something she loves.  She definitely gets her love of baking from this side of the family.  During a recent cross-country trip Grandma asked if she could do some baking at some friends they were staying with, just to get some baking therapy.  Hmmm, I can't imagine that will ever happen to me.   

They are making Portuguese Biscoitos (Rod calls them "hoosh koosh")  A light crispy cookie (similar to biscotti but lighter) with a slight hint of lemon.  They are wonderful w/ tea and have such a mild taste, they are addicting.

It was hard to leave some for the open house but somehow we managed.

Grandma is showing Cee a tip to check if they are done.  They should be crisp and snap apart. 
 
Here are the two satisfied bakers enjoying their work.  Today is Grandma's birthday and I can bet she is in her kitchen baking something up just for fun.  Happy Birthday Grandma and thank you for the baking lesson!

4 comments:

Jazzbee said...

Thanks for the memories! I was honored that Caroline asked for my help. I could bake with my grandchildren everyday.
....And, you're right.....I baked some cornmeal biscuits today just for fun :)

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday Jazzbee! I am so glad to see that you have a recipe for these. I will have to get a copy of it because I love them with my coffee in the morning! It looks like the two of you had a lot of fun, what great memories.

Anonymous said...

How nice for Cee to bake with Grandma - a real blessing! Happy Birthday Jazzbee!! - any snow in your parts this year? Didn't know you had a blog - will have to check it out!

Jazzbee said...

Nope - no blog...just decided to "finally" comment on some of Grasshopper's posts.

Thanks to you and Lisa for the birthday greetings.