Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Regarding Dinner


Taking into consideration our carefree vacation, my guilty purchase, rising price of everything, driving the Boss Hog of gas guzzlers, and trying to live the way we're meant to, we have set a weekly spending limit.  It still allows for some eating out (strategically planned), but we have been writing down all expenses big and small.  On paper we have seen a lot of waste.  This has been happening... "what the heck, I spent $16.00 at Panda Express for lunch when I could've boughten a book?  Should I really spend this $3.99 to download a scrapbook swirl?  Dear, did you really need to purchase the 'Mercedes' of balancing cartridge assemblies?  Hmmm, that Starbucks really adds up over a week's time.  Do we really need this prescription?"  (just kidding on the last one)

So I'm getting dinner ready last night when DH comes home from work.  He watches me open the can of Anderson split pea soup, cook the spinach ravioli from Costco that he really doesn't like, open a can of green beans, defrost the loaf of french bread we've had in the freezer for 4 months and says, "mmmmm."  I told him "well our taste buds are used to restaurant quality but this ain't no restaurant."  We sit down for dinner and he tries his pea soup (again, not his favorite), and he says, "is this like a person in a job he hates and he intentionally messes up so he can be fired?"  He said it with his usual humor and I literally laughed so hard I almost pee'd my pants.  ...and in that moment I reminded myself of my Mother.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! It reminds me of my DH when we talk about eating healthier and then I serve the low fat whatever, he leaves some on his plate - an otherwise very rare occasion. My question is, probably the same as his, did you do it on purpose? Yep, setting new goals and adjusting is always fun!

Lisa said...

We to are trying to cut back on unneccesary spending. Trying to curb my gluttony is also helping the pocket book. Coffee and snacks add up really quickly!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Oh man -- that was too funny!

Seriously though, it is shocking how fast money goes on all kinds of seemingly small purchases. Although I don't think $50 is small, I have told my husband before, "I'm not nickel and diming us to death, I'm $50 and $75-ing us to death." That sure adds up quickly, even when it's just a little run to Walmart or the grocery store.